Re: [Videolib] film quiz

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 11:35:07 PDT

Well I have to warn you a lot of people don't "get it" as it were. Some of
it depends on circumstances. I was lucky enough to see it in 35mm in a rep
theater ( remember those) as the bottom end of double bill. I had knew the
title but little else and I basically walked out catatonic . I remember
after a showing in my class at UCLA film school half the students thought it
was stupid and when I told the prof this he said not to mention the names as
he would flunk them.Another professor there confessed to me that the first
time she saw it , she thought it was a violent misogynist piece of junk but
the second time she realized it was a masterpiece.

A lot of my friends remain mystified that is my favorite film of all time
and ask why and I respond with a variation of Louis Armstrong's answer about
Jazz " If you have to ask, you'll never know"