Re: [Videolib] GREASER FILMS

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 12:11:59 PDT

Dear Richard,
As a matter of fact, we're premiering TONIGHT our releases of Ramona (1910)
and Big Stakes (1922) on TCM for Chon Noriega's Latino Images series. They
are American silent films dealing with Mexican subjects, but there are no
"greasers" in the film. They're available through us (with more information
on them at http://milestonefilms.com/movie.php/BigStakes/ or as a set
including And Now Miguel at http://milestonefilms.com/movie.php/Latino/)

Gary and folks, sorry this is on videolib rather than videonews, but it's
definitely not my intention to "shill." I'd be glad to point out other
silent films with Mexican characters if you need. Broncho Billy Anderson was
a major film star in the early teens and many of his films exist though I
don't know if that specific one does. The Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum
(Essanay stood for Spoors and Anderson) and they should know if that Broncho
Billy title is around. Their website is at http://www.nilesfilmmuseum.org/

Another good source for information and films on the subject would be David
Shepard of Film Preservation Associates. You can find his contact info at
http://www.silentera.com/info/resources/archives/filmPreservAsso.html since
I prefer for his sake not to give it out on a listserv.

Dennis

--
Best,
Dennis Doros