Re: [Videolib] ShareStream

From: Shoaf,Judith P <jshoaf@ufl.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 08:35:34 PDT

I haven't looked at Sharestream to see just what they are selling, but I'd like to point out that universities also have a lot of video/audio that they might own the right to (or the faculty member does) but that they don't want to have pirated. More and more courses now are delivering lectures on the web or developing distance ed courses. The schools don't want the students to be able to download, copy, share etc. the lectures-just view it as a stream. So there is a legitimate use for a service of this kind.

And in principle if rights holders are developing ways of selling the right to universities to digitize and stream, then those universities would need a service like this to comply with the rights holders' requirements (which would presumably include anti-piracy provisions).

I would say that the rights holders to commercial and documentary films ought to start working with Sharestream to develop a model whereby Sharestream monitors what is being streamed and collects fees from the universities on behalf of the rights holders, based at the very least on the change in format (which would be a one-time fee). At the same time, the rights holders can insist that Sharestream be used to prevent piracy.

Judy Shoaf