Re: [Videolib] ShareStream

From: <Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 08:27:56 PDT

Unfortunatley, when a high profile school does something like this, it
makes the already murky picture even murkier. I have a hard enough time
getting faculty to understand what is and is not allowable. I can imagine
someone coming to me saying "look what Princeton is doing" and then have
them look at me like I'm crazy when I tell that what Princeton is doing is
illegal. They won't believe me.

Tom

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Box 457035
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7035
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu

Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
04/30/2009 07:56 AM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] ShareStream

" Recognizing that universities’ distribution of digital media was
significantly impeded by
concerns for piracy..."

...so we've created a technology that hasn't been hacked yet and a P.T.
Barnum marketing scheme so you can pirate it yourself! Be the first on
your block!

Let's face it, Princeton (yes, we can name the school because it was
already named a couple weeks ago) is basing their miss-use of media on the
fact that no one's sued a college before for this specific infringement
(format change) and the odds are low that one actually will AND will get a
big judgement out of it.

I swear to god, we'll have another distributor fall this year and there
will be more tears shed, and some (and I said some, not even most)
institutions will keep justifying their misuse of copyrighted material
because it's either "fair use" or "the Teach Act allows us to... we
think," or because "it's okay to steal because no one else can steal it
from our theft."

Gary (and friends on the listserv), I know you bring this up because you
find this a questionable concept. I acquiring a film today that used to be
with New Yorker so I'm a little nostalgic, and along with that, I'm just
depressed about the public's response to copyright and the internet.

--
Best,
Dennis Doros

St. Louis 2009
www.amianet.orgVIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively
discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and
evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped
that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video
librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.