Re: [Videolib] ShareStream and other streaming services

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 20:26:07 PDT

I don't know about ShareStream but I did investigate what a prominent
Ivy League school is doing when they offer to make any video in the
collection accessible via streaming. They make the films available only
to participants of the course for which the film has been put on reserve
by the professor of that course and only for the duration of that
course. By providing access through the course mnagement system, they
can control which groups get access (classes) and the dates they allowed
access. Access to the materials is denied after the end of the
semester. Access to the video on demand materials is also restricted to
certain 'academic' locations on campus. These include teaching spaces,
libraries, and our language lab, but do not include residence halls.
The course management system is considered an extension of the
classroom, but only in specific areas in campus. The policy was
developed by University Council.

Interesting!

This seems to me a useful hybrid model combining the spirit of TEACH and
the face to face exemption.
>>> <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> 04/29/09 9:43 PM >>>
hi all

I'm on the ref desk tonite and bored and so I'll bug all of you.

For those of you playing ball with Sharestream, I have questions.
Sounds
like they're putting forward the pitch that serving copyrighted content
on
their platform is ok because of the "robust" security/DRM they can
provide:

"ShareStream's technology also offers universities a platform that
affords
legal, piracy-protected handling of copyrighted content. Recognizing
that
universitiesā€™ distribution of digital media was significantly impeded by
concerns for piracy of content as well as by issues of compliance with
the
legal framework surrounding digital distribution of content for
educational purposes, namely the Teach Act and Fair."

Uh...am I reading this incorrectly?

gary

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut