Re: [Videolib] Warner Archive

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 09:46:53 PDT

Well the no copying is sort of a gimme as I don't know to many rights
holders that grant that one except under unusual circumstances. As for the
no lending that is because this is being set up a special system to give
film buffs access to rare films. I know the people who worked on this and it
is not that they would not like a wider market but there are complications.
Mainly they want this to be as I said for purchase by film buffs and NOT as
retail rental items. It is kind of similar to Fox attempting to limit
libraries to the "no frills" copies except here WB is not trying to have
it's cake and eat it too, they are just servicing the individual market. If
they thought there would be enough sales to justify the bigger market and
the MUCH higher expense of doing regular transfers, packaging , promotion
etc I am sure they would do it.
It is possible libraries could approach Swank about making a deal with WB on
institutional sales/rentals but I am sure the prices would literally be 10
times what they are. Again I want to emphasize that the people behind this
are totally dedicated film buffs who are really trying to make films
available but they have to deal within a large studio system.
Ironically they are already fighting a FLOOD of illegal copies being sold on
the internet so they are being punished for spending a lot of time and money
to make some great films available.