Re: [Videolib] Video Streaming Advice

From: Susan Weber <sweber@langara.bc.ca>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 16:31:11 PDT

Hi Karen:
We started streaming video service in September. At that time, Flash
was recommended to be the
way that industry is going. It is platform neutral (either Windows or
Mac users should have no problems).
 We have IRIS Education http://www.iriseducation.org/index.php
 do the encoding to Flash from a DVD, and their rates are better than
most places. It isn't all that
expensive, and while you could do this, yourself, we felt that it isn't
worth our time and resources to get into this.
If you had a film production program, they would already have the
software, but it would mean an
extra complication. I think there is more to the encoding process than
just pressing play and record:
there could be closed captions; there could be chapter breaks (we
hope); all of these require
some understanding of the technical process.

IRIS Education has become so large as a streaming portal, that some
producers, like FMG, Annenberg,
Intelecom, automatically send their programs there and the streaming is
done from the IRIS site.
So, the more that this is done, the more that these programs will
already be encoded for Flash,
without our having to pay for it to be done. Even IRIS Education, with
over 800 educational customers, will encode
to the format that the user needs, so they will encode to WMP or QT or
Flash, as the customer requests.

I think that those institutions who began with WMP or QT have a vested
interest in staying with those formats,
so converting would cost them more time and money. Perhaps with time,
the Flash files will be more common,
and the vendors will be able to supply them. Even then, they would have
to know how to ftp the large files,
and I wouldn't hold my breath that many media distributors have the
desire to get into this.

Welcome to the media world, Karen.

Susan

--
Susan Weber, Media Librarian
Langara College, Advanced Education Media