Re: [Videolib] Video Streaming Advice

From: <Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 14:40:00 PDT

Hi Karen,

I don't mean to make light of your comment. It's probably obvious from my
remark that "standardized and seamless delivery" is something we all would
love and have been discussing for quite some time. Many of the librarians
and vendors on this list have had informative and productive discussions
on the topic and have even dedicated a day at National Media Market the
past couple of years to brainstorm some solutions. Of course, there are
still A LOT of unresolved issues that still need to be hashed out. You
may already know this, but just in case you haven't come across it before,
Gary Handman (UC Berkeley) and Lawrence Daressa (California Newsreel)
wrote a white paper outlining some of the issues. You can find a link to
that document and comments here:
http://mrcstream.wordpress.com/category/vod-discussion/

Tom

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Box 457035
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7035
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu

"Karen Tschanz" <KTSCHANZ@mail.mcg.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
04/21/2009 01:21 PM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

<videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] Video Streaming Advice

Thanks so much for this helpful reply, Chuck. Yeah: now that media is
taking off more than ever in the web environment, it would be nice if we
librarians, our users and producers could sit down together and work on
effective, standardized and seamless delivery! kst

>>> Chuck McCann <cmccann@fsu.edu> 04/21/2009 2:38 PM >>>
This is part of the problem, publishers want to sell VoD packages (titles
and formats) that they can offer, when no one knows what our faculty and
students instructional/educational needs are like those who work directly
with videos and faculty and stduents -- such as a media librarian. A time
will come when we can reasonably secure and deliver what our faculty and
students need for educational purposes.

Princeton is doing this, see...

"Video on Demand

Faculty can arrange for videos owned by the University to be made
available to students taking their classes via a VoD server. Students
registered in these classes may view assigned video materials at any time
during the semester through the Blackboard course page in..."

See more here: http://www.princeton.edu/hrc/video.html

I suspect they have the legal muscle to beat back opponents of using video
for educational purposes .. but I really should read up on it more, doing
so now.