Re: [Videolib] Video Streaming Advice

From: Karen Tschanz <KTSCHANZ@mail.mcg.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 13:21:05 PDT

Thanks so much for this helpful reply, Chuck. Yeah: now that media is taking off more than ever in the web environment, it would be nice if we librarians, our users and producers could sit down together and work on effective, standardized and seamless delivery! kst

>>> Chuck McCann <cmccann@fsu.edu> 04/21/2009 2:38 PM >>>
This is part of the problem, publishers want to sell VoD packages (titles and formats) that they can offer, when no one knows what our faculty and students instructional/educational needs are like those who work directly with videos and faculty and stduents -- such as a media librarian. A time will come when we can reasonably secure and deliver what our faculty and students need for educational purposes.

Princeton is doing this, see...

"Video on Demand

Faculty can arrange for videos owned by the University to be made available to students taking their classes via a VoD server. Students registered in these classes may view assigned video materials at any time during the semester through the Blackboard course page in..."

See more here: http://www.princeton.edu/hrc/video.html

I suspect they have the legal muscle to beat back opponents of using video for educational purposes .. but I really should read up on it more, doing so now.