Re: [Videolib] Video Streaming Advice

From: Karen Tschanz <KTSCHANZ@mail.mcg.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 13:11:58 PDT

Hi, Robert:

Thanks so much for that prompt reply! (Delightful that it comes from my
relatively recent environs - Palatine, IL. Can always can rely on a
fellow Illinoisian for rapid response and good information!)

We are supporting onsite and remote users with PCs and Macs, some in
formal workstation settings. Increasingly, we've seen lots of laptop
delivery need emerging, and because we are ramping up for a Med school
expansion, we anticipate significantly increased delivery for distance
education over time.

If I am using a video that is streaming ready, what kind of server or
technical environment typically accommodates that as a rule?

And a related question: - we have had some limited experience here of
working with our Visual Instruction and Design folks to get a few things
converted, but since this is charged back to us, we would prefer not to
incur the expense - is the equipment something we could buy and use to
do our own conversion, provided our vendors are willing?)

Thanks so much for shedding light on this situation! kst

>>> "bobn@filmideas.com" <bobn@filmideas.com> 04/21/2009 2:46 PM >>>

It is possible that your system is designed only for Flash. You will
also have the least trouble with users playing Flash video if you are

supporting users with PCs and Macs. That is why YouTube uses Flash.
You do sacrifice quality in full screen compared to a codec like MPEG

4 version h.264. Vendors will typically charge you for a digital
format they do not already have because it does take time to make a
quality file transfer.

Robert A. Norris
Managing Director
Film Ideas, Inc.