Re: [Videolib] Video Streaming Advice

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 12:06:43 PDT

Hi,

We are doing a trial right now for the Master Academic Collection from Films Media Group. They are in the process of converting all their streaming titles to Flash format. Having tested it on the campus network on a PC and from home on a middle-aged MAC, Flash makes a huge difference in the quality of the stream. WM and QT from off-campus, buffering problems, slowness. We're streaming from FMG, not from our own campus server.

Sarah

Sarah E. McCleskey
Head of Access Services
Acting Director, Film and Media Library
112 Axinn Library
123 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu
516-463-5076 (o)
516-463-4309 (f)

>>> <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> 4/21/2009 2:48 PM >>>
Hi

First of all, relative few distributors offering streaming rights are
currently selling "off the shelf" (i.e. ready-made) files...the majority
either sell the right to DIY or access to a remote server.

That said: I believe that very few (if any) of the ready-made guys are
currently selling Flash (mostly Real, WM, QuickTime)

Gary Handman

> Dear folks:
>
> We are new to working with videos in relation to our website.
>
> Recently we acquired video on DVD (video streaming edition). We are being
> told by our institutional IT people that the video cannot be made
> available for access by our Library users through a website without being
> converted to Flash for a Flash server environment. We are being urged to
> purchase our videos in Flash format.
>
> We are trying to sort out whether Flash is commonly available as a
> purchased video format - our feeling is that it is not. Also we are
> wondering if it is really necessary to convert to Flash, or whether this
> is more an expression of ITs interest in moving campus video into a Flash
> server environment.)
>
> We would most appreciate your advice or referrals to other source that
> could advise us on this.
>
> Please contact me offline (see below). If the list expresses interest, I
> will summarize replies to the list. Thanks in advance for your help! kst
>
> Karen S. Tschanz, M.L.S., M.B.A., M.S.O.D.
> Asst. Prof./Chair, Content Management
> Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D., Library, AB-241
> Medical College of Georgia
> 1451 Laney-Walker Boulevard
> Augusta, GA 30912
> Phone: (706) 721-9912