Re: [Videolib] NEWS ...jailed for breaking copyright

From: Jonathan Miller <jmiller@icarusfilms.com>
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 09:46:35 PDT

Brecht?
 JM

Jonathan Miller
President
Icarus Films
32 Court Street, 21st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201 USA

tel 1.718.488.8900
fax 1.718.488.8642
www.IcarusFilms.com
jmiller@IcarusFilms.com

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Tribby
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 12:48 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] NEWS ...jailed for breaking copyright

>if all Universities and cities etc decided to eliminate Libraries and
>Librarians (save a bank of free computers) because they believe
>everything should simply be found and downloaded off the net (
>copyright be damned) would say you were ambivalent

Yow! I don't usually expect deep, current cataloging discussions on this
list, yet this fragment from Jessica's posting could have been ripped from
an Autocat or RDA list discussion about the proposed new cataloging rules
(with the subquestion: why bother? Nobody cares about cataloging anymore.)
To paraphrase Super Chicken, "It's everywhere! It's everywhere!" The sad
thing is that many administrators agree with or are fascinated by the idea
of eliminating everything but keyword access to the 'Net for just about
everything.

First they eliminate the catalogers, then the media librarians... is anyone
safe?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.