Re: [Videolib] NEWS ...jailed for breaking copyright

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 09:24:30 PDT

In the case of Pirate Bay it was set up more or less for the purpose of
helping people break copyright ( and profiting from it ) If I came into your
library and copied book after book AFTER you had been specifically contacted
by publishers not to let me do it you would indeed be liable. You can't set
up something to specifically allow illegal activities and then say sorry I
had no clue they would do that. This is why Napster is no more. I remain
pretty dismayed by the lenient attitude towards Pirate Bay expressed by
some. I ask again if all Universities and cities etc decided to eliminate
Libraries and Librarians ( save a bank of free computers) because they
believe everything should simply be found and downloaded off the net (
copyright be damned) would say you were ambivalent ? Filmmakers and
distributors do get awfully touchy about the idea of just downloading
anything you want because you found a way to do it without bothering to pay
them.