Re: [Videolib] NEWS ...jailed for breaking copyright

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 20:23:52 PDT

First they provided information on how to commit a crime which actually
would probably be protected here but providing links which allow people to
commit the crime is different. They were not providing "information" they
were making money off routing people to illegal activities. If for instance
someone provides "information" and p on how to cheat on your taxes and
profits from it, that is in fact a felony. I do think the Napster situation
showed that US courts were not buying the " I only provided"
information/tools but I did not steal anything argument. There is a reason
most pirate sites operate in Asia, Eastern Europe etc,because if they do it
here they would face criminal sanctions. I did not mean to "trash" talk but
I do find your belief that this was in essence a worthwhile service that
should not have faced criminal charges shocking. If I suggested
that schools eliminate librarians because all material should just be
downloaded as a public service and they need not be bothered by copyright,
collection development skills, research etc, I would think you might be
upset but you suggest that it is legal and even admirable to facilitate
stealing copyrighted material and think my reaction is somehow out of line.