Re: [Videolib] NEWS ...jailed for breaking copyright

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 20:22:39 PDT

I am in complete agreement, Dennis. I'm thinking of all the RIAA lawsuits against individual students, and I believe that as an institution we have some responsibility to educate and protect our students. In the world of P2P, many students have absolutely no idea that file sharing may be in violation of the law, unethical, stealing, etc. I was recently searching for a *legal* electronic copy of Edward Said's classic book "Orientalism" to license for student use. I didn't find it but I did find a pdf file of the whole thing, 350+ pages, downloadable on one of these Pirate Bay type sites. University policy dictates that we will not link to these sites, and explaining to faculty why we will not provide students with links to material that is not *legally* available is just part of my job.

Sarah

>>> Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com> 04/17/09 9:20 PM >>>
Okay, I'll aim this at Chuck directly because I know most of you don't
deserve the following. Chuck, there's a reason why "we" distributors rant
sometimes and this is such a case. There is a difference between promoting
civil disobedience and promoting theft. I don't know how many times I have
to mention that not only are there laws that can be broken but there's moral
and ethical considerations that yes, I keep harping on but strongly believe
in. Isn't honesty and integrity something that is required in colleges?
Should there be internet sites on how best to steal from your library? If
you caught somebody doing this repeatedly, would you ignore it?
What's the difference between stealing a film using the internet and
stealing a dvd or book from the library? And in the latter case, it's only
one book or dvd. On the internet, it's allowing thousands to steal. There's
several films of ours on their site and I happen to know that the directors
need their royalties to pay, ironically enough, their kids' college
educations. There's got to be a lot worthier things to do in life than
promoting theft for profit. Obviously, the courts thought so too.
Dennis

--
Best,
Dennis Doros