Re: [Videolib] Conference question from a new Media Librarian

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 20:10:50 PDT

I'm considering going to my first NMM as my only travel next fiscal year. I was an art librarian, and very active in ARLIS/NA, before moving to administration in my current position. I've been acting director of our Film/Media library for almost 3 years now (and will continue for the foreseeable future due to the current economy) and I feel a closer affinity to this group than to any of the access services groups I belong to. Thanks for the fabulous collegiality, Video-Lib friends!

Sarah @ Hofstra

On 4/17/09 10:32 AM "Smith jr, Neal" <Neal.Smithjr@fhchs.edu> sent this out:

> I opted to attend NMM and benefited greatly
> from the experience. At NMM I met people and started relationships with
> companies that immediately helped in my work. More than a dozen times
> since I have been able to meet faculty needs and to save the library
> money because of information I got at NMM. I definitely think NMM is a
> good choice if you can only attend one conference.

I agree. NMM was always my first choice for a conference that gave me and my
media program tangible benefits.

I never attended ALA though, so I can't speak to that.

Rick Faaberg
Former Regional Director of Media Services in Oregon