Re: [Videolib] Conference question from a new Media Librarian

From: <Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 11:01:34 PDT

As someone involved with both the National Media Market and the Video
Round Table, it's difficult to recommend one over the other since they
both have excellent things to offer.

Considering that you are new to the field, I would suggest that NMM would
be a better first conference, especially if you buy media. It's smaller
and easier to get to know your fellow media people. And, unlike ALA, it's
ALL media people, so you can really soak up a lot of relevant information.
 But I would recommend joining the VRT if you haven't already. And if
you're tenure track, ALA provides more opportunities to get involved with
committee work and presentations. So, if you continue to be able to only
go to 1 conference a year, you might want to alternate. I haven't been to
CCUMC yet, so can't speak to that.

But, yes, the correct answer is both.

Tom

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Box 457035
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7035
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu

"Smith jr, Neal" <Neal.Smithjr@fhchs.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
04/17/2009 10:32 AM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] Conference question from a new Media Librarian

Philip,

I'm not an experienced conference attendee, but last year I was in a
similar situation to yours (fresh out of grad school, only able to
attend one conference). I opted to attend NMM and benefited greatly
from the experience. At NMM I met people and started relationships with
companies that immediately helped in my work. More than a dozen times
since I have been able to meet faculty needs and to save the library
money because of information I got at NMM. I definitely think NMM is a
good choice if you can only attend one conference.

Neal Smith
Digital Services Librarian
Media Services Coordinator
Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences
671 Winyah Dr
Orlando, FL 32803
407-303-7747 ext. 110-9894