Re: [Videolib] FW: New Fox rental/retail policy

From: Brigid Duffy <bduffy@sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 12:51:03 PDT

I did a a quick price check. We bought "Ratatouille" last year not for
the film, but because an instructor wanted one of the special
features, an interview. I bought it from DeepDiscount for $22.13; the
Midwest Tapes price is $22.99.

The A&E biography of Obama was $9.99 from their website; Midwest Tapes
price, $11.99

"Seven Samurai" was $31.99 from amazon.com; Midwest Tapes, $42.99

A documentary "Television's Vietnam" was $29.95 from amazon.com; not
available from Midwest Tapes.

I have a credit card and shop around on the Internet, and we don't use
MARC records, so I don't see the great difference.

Maybe what Fox is trying to do is to kill (or at least dent) the
resale market for rental DVDs . My neighborhood Blockbuster has
shelves full of DVDs they bought, rented out and no longer have any
use for, because the film as gone out of style. So Blockbuster is
making money on the rental and on the sale of an item they can no
longer use.

Fox is okay with people renting the DVD from Blockbuster, but they
want consumers to buy the DVD from them. And at a higher price than
the used Blockbuster copy, if possible. If that's the concept, I don't
think it will succeed; why would consumers pay extra for special
features they have never seen?

And why public libraries and places like Midwest Tape get stuck in the
middle of that is beyond me.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology