Re: [Videolib] Whither Media or What?

From: Mike Tribby <mike.tribby@quality-books.com>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 08:36:44 PDT

>I gave up using the L word in my title or in the description of my job to strangers years ago, after an incident at a dinner party. I was sitting next to a woman with a huge beehive hairdo and a Jersey accent you could cut with a chainsaw. She rambled on for a good fifteen minutes about the glories of her successful son, the doctor. Finally, she asked me what I did for a living. When I told her I was a librarian, she looked me up and down with a mixture of profound pity and contempt and said: "Oy! Does your mother know?"

I have handled similar situations by introducing myself as Conan the Librarian. But if media librarian is a hard job to describe, try explaining "cataloger." Even among other librarians there is little hope of pleasant results.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com