Re: [Videolib] accessing DVDs for patrons

From: <d.mandel@neu.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 18:41:30 PDT

Hi-

Northeastern's media collection was formerly arranged by accession number
and format and located in the Media Center. The collection lived behind
closed doors. In 2005, retrospective reclass to LC began.

Media is now in the stacks, integrated with books, thus a music CD may sit
next to a score; a feature film beside a script. We have security strips
only, no locking cases. CDs that haven't been reclassed yet are in a
separate location (near childrens books), and arranged by accession number.
Older formats (16mm and laserdiscs) were relocated to compact storage, and
are retrievable.

It took a year for faculty to adjust to the location change, but overall
patrons like the open access. Yes, things go missing and get damaged, and
I replace what I can. The days of a pristine media collection are over.

Good luck!

Debra H. Mandel,
Head, Digital Media Design Studio
Northeastern University Libraries
360 Huntington Ave.
200 SL
Boston, MA 02115
d.mandel@neu.edu
617-373-4902, 617-373-5409-FAX

      To&nbsp;&nbsp; <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
      cc&nbsp;&nbsp;
      bcc&nbsp;&nbsp;
      Subject&nbsp;&nbsp; [Videolib] accessing DVDs for patrons
"Elizabeth Barksdale" <ebarksdale@wtc.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
04/07/2009 02:37 PM
<HR><font size=-1>Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu</font><HR> <font size=-1></font>

Hi all. This is a pretty simple question for this list (not a copyright
conundrum) : ) , but it’s a small practical problem that I’d like to get a
good solution for

We have a fairly small but growing AV collection, and have our DVD cases in
LC out on the shelves for browsing and the actual DVDs in LC back behind
our circulation desk, some in plastic cases on shelves, some in drawers of
a filing cabinet. We also label the actual DVDs with LC and it takes
forever to find some of them when you’re going through umpteen PN 1997’s or
whatever.

Is the standard thing to do labeling DVD cases with LC or Dewey for
browsing but have a numeric system 1-1000 or whatever for retrieving the
actual items? We were doing this for awhile, but then went back to just LC
numbers for some reason—I think the circ folks thought it would be more
straightforward for us but now I’m not sure I agree. Do you have any
reasons for assigning just call numbers, just standard numbers or both to
your DVD collections?

Thanks!

Liz
preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries
and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an
effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.