Re: [Videolib] accessing DVDs for patrons

From: Kim Crowley <kcrowley@flathead.mt.gov>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 14:27:07 PDT

Hi Liz,

We also keep our DVDs and music CDs behind the desk in sleeves, cases out for display. For display, DVD Fiction are in alpha order, nonfiction in dewey order. Music is by artist in genre categories (classical, folk, pop, soundtrack, etc.). Behind the desk we use accession numbers for the sleeves. The number is written on the property stamp donut on the dvd itself, on the sleeve (of course), and on a small label on the front of the case. We have customers bringing tens of DVDs and music CDs to the checkout desk at once and it is very time consuming. That said, the numbering system works very well--we have drawers numbered also. We have about 4,500 total discs and about 3,200 of those are here at the Main Library.

We'd love a better solution like security strips or security cases but we're in a 1907 post office with three entrances and exits and can't afford new security gates right now.
kc

Kim Crowley, Director
Flathead County Library System phone: 406.758.5826
247 First Avenue East fax: 406.758.5868
Kalispell, MT. 59901-4598
kcrowley@flathead.mt.gov

read our blog @ http://flatheadcountylibrary.blogspot.com/