Re: [Videolib] accessing DVDs for patrons

From: Bergman, Barbara J <barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 14:26:01 PDT

There are no simple questions and answers on this listserv. :)

We have our DVDs in open stacks, locked cases.
Filed by modified LC classification (feature films classed according to the literature schedule used for books, so they aren't all PN1997).

Having dealt with both, I can attest that:
Call numbers are excellent for subject browsing. Patrons like this.
Accession numbers are faster for shelving and retrieval, and don't require growth space within the collection.

If your library is attached to filing the case and disc separately, at least get the dics into one location-not combo of shelves and drawers. Then figure out what works to make the retrieval process easier -accession numbers could be assigned, or discs could just be filed alphabetically.

Barb Bergman | Media Services Librarian | Minnesota State University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu