Re: [Videolib] accessing DVDs for patrons

From: Beth Traylor <bethe@uwm.edu>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 11:45:10 PDT

Hi Elizabeth,

We use accession numbers for our collection and it has worked well over
the last 19 years We don't have the problem of having to move the
collection to fit in new items (we add about 1000+ volumes a year). We
have over 4000+ DVDs that are numbered DVD-0001 - DVD-405?
Our VHS collection is numbered VHS-0001 - VHS-60?? and our audiobook
collection on CD are numbered AUD-0001-04??

We do have a cdrom collection that is LC call number labeled and it is
VERY HARD to shelve and find titles, parts etc with them.

Our DVDs are out on the shelf in their cases enclosed in full security
cases by Embury and we LOVE IT. WE have had them out for browsing ( in
accession #) for about a year and it has been very well received. The
accession numbers also make it easier to shelf read and put them back in
their places.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions

Beth Traylor
Media Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee