Re: [Videolib] Association of Moving Image Archivists

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 18:35:51 PDT

Hi Dennis

Here's what I think: The vast majority of videolib members--of librarians
"doing media" in public and academic libraries in fact--have historically
dealt almost exclusively with "store bought" collections. In other words,
archives are one thing and video collections in libraries another. That
said, it clear to me, as collections (particularly in academic libraries)
have gotten larger and older, that a lot of us have increasingly become
unwitting "archivists" (cf earlier videolib discussions about out of
distribution materials). As we get deeper into online media territory, I
think that issues related to standards for digitization, access, and
archiving are going to become critical across the board.

The bottom line is that I think a lot of us could benefit from
collaboration with AMIA and participation in AMIA initiative and events.

gary handman

> Dear Videolib members,
> I was curious why there seems to be so few AV/Media librarians
> historically
> belonging to AMIA (www.amianet.org). After all, preservation and migration
> of materials is perhaps the second biggest concern of this group (after
> budget/acquisitions) and it's a fairly reasonable membership with a great
> conference, listserv and journal. I'd love to hear from all of you to see
> how it could be made more attractive. And if you have any questions, I'd
> be
> glad to answer on or off-listserv.
>
> As a member for about ten years and now a Board person (and trust me, I
> wouldn't be doing this for any other group), I really believe in this
> group's ability to come up with the questions and the knowledge and
> support
> to come up with solutions.
>
> --
> Best,