Re: [Videolib] converting VHS to DVD

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 15:31:06 PDT

Hi

If the the title is still in distribution IN ANY FORMAT and available for
purchase at a fair market price, you can't really migrate formats. Period.
Before you consider migrating under provisions of Section 108 of the
copyright law, you need to make a reasonable (and hopefully documented)
attempt to acquire a replacement, which might include trying to contact
the original or subsequent distributors and/or the producers of the film
(or other rights holders)

As my good friend Jessica Rosner has reiterated repeatedly (ad nauseum),
the fact that patrons don't like vhs (or any other format) isn't a
sufficient reason to go ahead and migrate.

OK: if you have determined that the title you have in hand is no longer
get-able, and it's at some physical risk (or in an obsolete format, such
as 3/4" tape), you may be able to go ahead and migrate. You should note,
however, that the requirements for use of replacement copies under 108 is
pretty narrowly defined. http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108

gary handman

If you

> Good evening,
>
> If a library wants to convert their VHS to DVD, what option is there if:
>
> * A newer format (i.e. DVD) and is not available
> * copyright holder refuses to respond or cannot be bound
> For example, the VHS is deteriorating and after our best efforts we could
> not get a response from the copyright holder. How do we obtain a
> sustainable format for continued use by our library patrons? From what
> I've researched thus far, one can legally convert a VHS to DVD only if the
> VHS is damaged/deteriorating or an unused replacement copy cannot be
> obtained at a fair price. What about VHS titles we have that are not
> deteriorating, but not available as DVDs? Students and faculty do not
> want to use these titles simply due to the format, but as far as I can
> tell there is no other option.
> I apologize in advance for opening up this can of worms, but really
> appreciate your responses!
> Ami Regnier
> Special Projects Librarian
> Bentley University Library