Re: [Videolib] streaming video= serials pricing model

Peter Cohn (pccohn@yahoo.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:26:26 -0400

--===============0120141530584805848==

--------------050505080300010705080309

Many of us at New Day Digital follow the streaming video discussions
with interest (as well as trepidation and amusement). Thanks to Sarah
McCleskey for her cogent explanation of New Day's approach. As Sarah
mentioned, we're currently introducing a new offering that falls into
the much discussed "serials" model. Please keep in mind that our basic
approach is to offer the stream and the DVD, with the DVD at a much
reduced price (similar to Larry Duressa's plan). It's a completely
flexible solution, where a media librarian can choose as few as 1, and
as many as 70, of our titles, with very large discounts for multiple
title purchases. As Sarah also mentioned, the licenses are open ended,
although we are charging an annual fee per title to cover administrative
overhead, bandwidth, and other costs. This "serial" offering
complements our existing individual streaming plan ($4.99 for 90 days,
with 40% off for owners of the DVD).

NDD is in a good position to experiment with different approaches,
because the filmmakers represent their own films -- there are no rights
issues. Our serial offering, and the individual streams, are the best
approaches we could come up with, but we are also eager to work out
customized plans on an institution by institution basis.

--===============0120141530584805848==--