Re: [Videolib] streaming video= serials pricing model

Jessica Rosner (maddux2014@gmail.com)
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:18:10 -0400

--===============6027730850380086584==

--0016e644c76c1c07c70465e4c28a

There definitely has to be give and take. Rights holders can ask for the
moon and libraries can respond in that case we will just show the material
in class and put it on reserve if you want an outrageous amount of money.
There has to be a fair model. The FAR bigger problem is that the huge
numbers of non studio films that will VERY hard to licence at ANY price.
I do disagree to Gary's objection to a short term ( semester license). Most
companies can't or won't be able to license streaming rights in perpetuity.
Something that works out to say $15- $25 a student who is actually USING
films per semester is hardly unreasonable again depending on how many films
they need. A hell of lot less than they spend on books.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Andrews, Sarah E
<sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu>wrote:

> It is rather obvious to me that streaming video is moving to an
> environment where it can be treated not like monographs (buy it, use it,
> lend it, ILL it), to a serials model (pay for a access to a select group of
> users, vendors expect to charge annual fees, and libraries have to pay more
> and more each year). Unfortunately, this model is great for vendors--and a
> useful way to fund infrastructure improvements necessary to deliver
> digital--but it has not yet proved to be financially viable for libraries
> long-term.
>
> I fear that in the future, academic libraries will spend large portions of
> their budget on digital "big deals" at the expense of smaller, independently
> produced films that don't have all the bells & whistles.
>
> Sarah

> distributors.

--0016e644c76c1c07c70465e4c28a

There definitely has to be give and take. Rights holders can ask for the mo=
on and libraries can respond in that case we will just show the material in=
class and put it on reserve if you want an outrageous amount of money. The=
re has to be a fair model. The FAR bigger problem is that the huge numbers =
of =A0non studio films that will VERY hard to licence at ANY price.<div>
ster license). Most companies can&#39;t or won&#39;t be able to license str=
eaming rights in perpetuity. Something that works out to say $15- $25 a stu=
dent =A0who is actually USING films per semester is hardly unreasonable aga=
in depending on how many films they need. A hell of lot less than they spen=
d on books.<br>
rah E <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu">sara=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;=
">

ather obvious to me that streaming video is moving to an environment where =
it can be treated not like monographs (buy it, use it, lend it, ILL it), to=
a serials model (pay for a access to a
select group of users, vendors expect to charge annual fees, and libraries=
have to pay more and more each year).=A0 Unfortunately, this model is grea=
t for vendors--and a useful way to fund infrastructure improvements necessa=
ry to deliver digital--but it has
not yet proved to be financially viable for libraries long-term.</font></d=
iv>
, academic libraries will spend large portions of their budget on digital &=
quot;big deals&quot; at the expense of smaller, independently produced film=
s that don&#39;t have all the bells &amp; whistles.=A0
or=3D"#888888">

sues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic contr=
ol, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in librarie=
s and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effe=
ctive working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communicat=
ion between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and dis=
tributors.<br>

--===============6027730850380086584==--