Re: [Videolib] Feature films about social issues, families,

TWN Distribution (distribution@twn.org)
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:48:52 -0400

--===============3221270915072715046==

--001636283c2a6c75090465e02832

Hi Marynelle,

Third World Newsreel (www.twn.org) specializes in social issues media. I'm
sending you a short list of recent release, but you can browse our
collection at http://www.twn.org/catalog/titles/TitleIndex.aspx#C

*Call For Change Series
2005*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D972&card=3Dprice>
Various
Producer: Third World Newsreel
2005, 133 min., Color, US
A series of 16 shorts on how NYC communities of color view their "State of
America" and what they're doing to make changes. These shorts aim to provok=
discussion and more. Topics range from the cont...

*PRIMETIME: Fighting Back Against
Foreclosure*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1215&card=3D=
price>
Jennifer Fasulo <http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1309=
> &
Manauvaskar Kublall<http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1=
310>
Producer: TWN Production Workshop
2009, 23 min., Color, US

This timely film takes the viewer behind the foreclosure statistics and int=
the homes and hearts of two NYC women who have been pummeled by the
foreclosure tsunami. It breaks down the complex issues of the sub-prime
mortgage industry into easy to understand language and reveals the
systematic culpability of the financial institutions.

PRIMETIME weaves individual stories into a coll... *More*

*Dreams Deferred: The Sakia Gunn Film
Project*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1193&card=3Dpric=
e>
Charles B. Brack <http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D128=
6>
Producer: Charles B. Brack, CoProduced with Third World Newsreel
2008, 58 min., Color, US

This documentary tells the little known story of Sakia Gunn, a 15 year old
student who was fatally stabbed in a gay hate crime in Newark, New Jersey.
Sakia was an Aggressive, according to GLAAD, a homosexual woman of color wh=
dresses in masculine attire but does not necessarily identify as either
lesbian or female-to-male transgender. Sakia held promise as a basketball
player and was an "A" stude... *More

* *Excuse My Gangsta
Ways*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1195&card=3Dprice>
Corinne E. Manabat
Producer: Corinne E. Manabat
2008, 15 min., Color, US

We all go through transitions in life, whether it's a career change, or
moving, but for Davina Wan, hers has been very extreme - from the gang life
to a "normal" life. Excuse My Gangsta Ways is a visual poetic documentary
portrait on Davina Wan, a Chinese American woman, who was a former gang
member from the 1990s Lower East Side. With interviews from her grandmother
and godfather, we will take a ... *More

* *Here to Stay*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1194&car=
d=3Dprice>
ManSee Kong <http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1287>
Producer: TWN Production Workshop
2008, 7 min., Color, US

Illustrates the effects of gentrification in Manhattan=92s Chinatown as an
elderly man and fellow tenants in endangered single-room occupancy building
await the results of an anti-eviction lawsuit. A TWN Workshop production an=
part of the Call for Change Series.

*Jails, Hospitals, and Hip
Hop*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1212&card=3Dprice>
Mark Benjamin <http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1303> =
and
Danny Hoch <http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1304>
2000, 90 min., US

>From the mind of Brooklyn actor, performance artist and Hip-Hop activist
Danny Hoch, spins out the stories of ten lives shocked by global Hip-Hop,
the prison system and life in general. Moving masterfully in and out of the
characters while the camera cuts from film narrative to live performances,
Danny blows your mind and makes you look at cultural power in a new way tha=
is hysterically funny, tr... *More*

*Our Lady Queen of
Harlem*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1196&card=3Dprice=

Trinidad Rodriguez<http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D12=
89>
Producer: Trinidad Rodriguez
2008, 17 min., Color, US

On a crumbling sidewalk in the heart of Spanish Harlem, a small but
impassioned group of women are fighting for their community. When the
Archdiocese of New York locked the doors of the church where many of them
spent their entire lives worshiping, this determined family of parishioners
decided to resist the ministerial decision and take matters into their own
hands. A portrait of faith and disobe... *More*

*Seen, But Not Heard*<http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D121=
7&card=3Dprice>
Cyrille Phipps <http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D959>
2008, 12 min., Color, US

SEEN, BUT NOT HEARD is a short documentary that will explore the historical
antecedents, current trends, and emerging activism concerning HIV/AIDS and
women of African decent. Through raw and revealing personal accounts and
comprehensive investigative journalism, SEEN, BUT NOT HEARD seeks to
challenge, inform, and inspire viewers to look past the daunting HIV/AIDS
statistics - to see and hear the... *More

*
Best,
Roselly Torres

Roselly A. Torres Rojas
Distribution & Marketing Director
Third World Newsreel
(212) 947-9277 x17
distribution@twn.org
-------------------------

Find us on Facebook & MySpace!

Shop Online at www.twn.org!
We accept credit cards and PayPal accounts.

To join our email list, please visit
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=3D1101218204988

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Marynelle Chew <chewm@byuh.edu> wrote:

> I am not a film librarian, but I play one at work.... Or, at least an
> acquisitions librarian.
>
> I have two social work professors who are looking for feature films that
> portray various social issues of interest to social workers. They plan to
> use these films as springboards to discussion. The laundry list of topics
> is
> below.
>
> advocacy
> child abuse
> community organizing
> different perspectives
> disability
> discrimination
> government
> human rights
> justice
> laws
> legislation
> poor neighborhoods
> problems in families
> social problems
> solving social problems
> values
>
> I know this is a pretty tall order, so if anything covering any of these
> issues springs immediately to mind, I would be most grateful.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Marynelle Chew
> Joseph F. Smith Library
> Brigham Young University-Hawaii
> Laie, HI 96762
>

> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issu=
es
> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries =
and
> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effectiv=
> distributors.

--001636283c2a6c75090465e02832

ww.twn.org</a>) specializes in social issues media. I&#39;m sending you a s=
hort list of recent release, but you can browse our collection at <a href=
=3D"http://www.twn.org/catalog/titles/TitleIndex.aspx#C">http://www.twn.org=
/catalog/titles/TitleIndex.aspx#C</a><br>
/cpage.aspx?rec=3D972&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Call For Change Series 2005</b><=
US<br>
series of 16 shorts on how NYC communities of color view their &quot;State
of America&quot; and what they&#39;re doing to make changes. These shorts a=
im to
pan style=3D"font-size: 8pt; line-height: 11pt;"><a href=3D"http://www.twn.=
org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1215&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>PRIMETIME: Fig=
ifer Fasulo</a> &amp; <a href=3D"http://www.twn.org/catalog/makers/makerbio=
.aspx?rec=3D1310">Manauvaskar Kublall</a><br>Producer: TWN Production Works=
hop<br>
2009, 23 min., Color, US<br><br>
This timely film takes the viewer behind the foreclosure statistics and
into the homes and hearts of two NYC women who have been pummeled by
the foreclosure tsunami. It breaks down the complex issues of the
sub-prime mortgage industry into easy to understand language and
reveals the systematic culpability of the financial institutions.

n.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1193&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Dreams Defer=
atalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1286">Charles B. Brack</a><br>
Producer: Charles B. Brack, CoProduced with Third World Newsreel<br>2008, =
58 min., Color, US<br><br>
This documentary tells the little known story of Sakia Gunn, a 15 year
old student who was fatally stabbed in a gay hate crime in Newark, New
Jersey. Sakia was an Aggressive, according to GLAAD, a homosexual woman
of color who dresses in masculine attire but does not necessarily
identify as either lesbian or female-to-male transgender. Sakia held
promise as a basketball player and was an &quot;A&quot; stude... <strong><e=

n.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1195&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Excuse My Ga=
>2008, 15 min., Color, US<br>
We all go through transitions in life, whether it&#39;s a career change, or
moving, but for Davina Wan, hers has been very extreme - from the gang
life to a &quot;normal&quot; life. Excuse My Gangsta Ways is a visual poeti=
documentary portrait on Davina Wan, a Chinese American woman, who was a
former gang member from the 1990s Lower East Side. With interviews from
/em></strong></span>

n.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1194&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Here to Stay=
=3D1287">ManSee Kong</a><br>
Illustrates the effects of gentrification in Manhattan=92s Chinatown as
an elderly man and fellow tenants in endangered single-room occupancy
building await the results of an anti-eviction lawsuit. A TWN Workshop
n.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1212&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Jails, Hospi=
akerbio.aspx?rec=3D1303">Mark Benjamin</a> and <a href=3D"http://www.twn.or=
g/catalog/makers/makerbio.aspx?rec=3D1304">Danny Hoch</a><br>
2000, 90 min., US<br><br>
>From the mind of Brooklyn actor, performance artist and Hip-Hop
activist Danny Hoch, spins out the stories of ten lives shocked by
global Hip-Hop, the prison system and life in general. Moving
masterfully in and out of the characters while the camera cuts from
film narrative to live performances, Danny blows your mind and makes
you look at cultural power in a new way that is hysterically funny,
r>

n.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1196&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Our Lady Que=
io.aspx?rec=3D1289">Trinidad Rodriguez</a><br>
On a crumbling sidewalk in the heart of Spanish Harlem, a small but
impassioned group of women are fighting for their community. When the
Archdiocese of New York locked the doors of the church where many of
them spent their entire lives worshiping, this determined family of
parishioners decided to resist the ministerial decision and take
matters into their own hands. A portrait of faith and disobe... <strong><em=
style=3D"font-size: 8pt; line-height: 11pt;"><a href=3D"http://www.twn.org/=
catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=3D1217&amp;card=3Dprice"><b>Seen, But Not Hear=
SEEN, BUT NOT HEARD is a short documentary that will explore the
historical antecedents, current trends, and emerging activism
concerning HIV/AIDS and women of African decent. Through raw and
revealing personal accounts and comprehensive investigative journalism,
SEEN, BUT NOT HEARD seeks to challenge, inform, and inspire viewers to
look past the daunting HIV/AIDS statistics - to see and hear the... <strong=
jas<br>
Distribution &amp; Marketing Director<br>Third World Newsreel <br>(212) 947=
-9277 x17<br><a href=3D"mailto:distribution@twn.org">distribution@twn.org</=
r>
cept credit cards and PayPal accounts. <br><br>To join our email list, plea=
se visit<br><a href=3D"http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=3D110=
1218204988">http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=3D1101218204988<=
/a><br>

le Chew <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chewm@byuh.edu">chewm@byuh.=
der-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-=
left: 1ex;">
I am not a film librarian, but I play one at work.... Or, at least an<br>
acquisitions librarian.<br>
I have two social work professors who are looking for feature films that<br=

portray various social issues of interest to social workers. They plan to<b=
r>
use these films as springboards to discussion. The laundry list of topics i=
s<br>
below.<br>
advocacy<br>
child abuse<br>
community organizing<br>
different perspectives<br>
disability<br>
discrimination<br>
government<br>
human rights<br>
justice<br>
laws<br>
legislation<br>
poor neighborhoods<br>
problems in families<br>
social problems<br>
solving social problems<br>
values<br>
I know this is a pretty tall order, so if anything covering any of these<br=

issues springs immediately to mind, I would be most grateful.<br>
Thank you in advance.<br>
Marynelle Chew<br>
Joseph F. Smith Library<br>
Brigham Young University-Hawaii<br>
Laie, HI =A096762<br>
VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues=
relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, =
preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries an=
d related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effectiv=
e working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication =
between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distrib=
utors.<br>

--===============3221270915072715046==--