Re: [Videolib] Cindy's copyright question

Jessica Rosner (maddux2014@gmail.com)
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:31:13 -0400

--===============7998739698111565779==

--001636920611f1db810465d0d238

Carrie:
Is it your belief that provisions in the TEACH act apply to standard bricks
and mortar classes in which
a professor may want to put up streamed material in ADDITION to what is
taught in class. I don't have any problem with clips or portions used in
classes but I am wondering if you are suggesting that an entire feature film
could be streamed in non distance education setting as either part of say
"extra" studies for the class or so the dear little students could just
watch it again in the dorm. In other words do believe it is legal to stream
a complete film for a course that is NOT taught on line,

I know this is the position of the SCMS but then again their guidelines were
in my opinion pretty nuts as in you can use something taped off TV ten
years, which your friend made you a copy of and stream it for your class.

On a side note I was a a film festival this weekend ( very rare old films)
and met one of the top copyright lawyers
( working on the rights holders side) and he has agreed to give his opinion
on certain issues that have come up here
such as whether one could claim an entire film can be considered "fair use",
streaming etc. So basically with any luck
I won't have to play at being a copyright expert I can borrow a real one.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Carrie Russell <crussell@alawash.org>wrote:

> Hi Cindy:
>
> You can use clips on Blackboard in a secure environment, only for
> enrolled students, etc.
>
> There is no limit on the length of clip - it should be the length
> necessary to meet the teaching objective - the same length one would use
> in a "live" classroom.
>
> What this means:
> FOR DIGITIZING ANALOG WORKS, NO DIGITAL VERSION OF THE WORK IS AVAILABLE
> FREE FROM TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTIONS THAT WOULD PREVENT THE USES
> AUTHORIZED IN SECTION 110.
>
> It means that you cannot copy an analog work to a digital version if
> there is a digital version of the title available for purchase. BUT if
> the digital versions that are available for purchase prevent you from
> copying a clip (because they are protected by technology like CSS) to
> use in Blackboard, then you can copy the analog version using the
> portion necessary to meet the teaching objective.
>
> But it sounds like you already have digital versions that you plan to
> stream so no need to make a digital copy of an analog version.
>
> Under TEACH (or fair use), you do not have to get permission for this
> use.
> -Carrie Russell
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:58:21 -0500
> From: "Badilla-Melendez, Cindy" <cbadillame@stthomas.edu>
> Subject: [Videolib] copyright question help
> To: "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
>
> I know this question has come up several times. I may wasn't paying
> attention or still did not hear an answer, or I am still confussed.
>
> A professor wants to put some clips of some documentaries on Blackboard.
> If I read correctly this is ok under the TEACH act and Fair USe, off
> course under a lot of conditions (a lot of them technological
> requirements). But also, talks about reasonable amounts and portions.
> What is a reasonalble amount? 10% or 3 minutes? I read that somewhere.
>
> TEACH Act alos talks about if the work would be part of what the
> professor will use in class and so on.
> I really don't uderstanda this part:
>
> FOR DIGITIZING ANALOG WORKS, NO DIGITAL VERSION OF THE WORK IS AVAILABLE
> FREE FROM TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTIONS THAT WOULD PREVENT THE USES
> AUTHORIZED IN SECTION 110.
>
> So, can we or not take a DVD and stream portions and put them min
> blackboard for a semester, for students to review?
> Or we need to get permissions?
>
> Thanks
> Cindy

> Cindy Badilla-Melendez
> Media Resources Librarian
> O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
> University of St. Thomas
> Mail #5004, 2115 Summit Ave,
> St Paul, MN 55105
> phone (651) 962-5464
> fax (651) 962-5406

> distributors.

--001636920611f1db810465d0d238

Carrie:<br><div>Is it your belief that provisions in the TEACH act apply to=
standard bricks and mortar classes in which</div><div>a professor =A0may =
=A0want to put up streamed material in ADDITION to what is taught in class.=
I don&#39;t have any problem with clips or portions used in classes but I =
am wondering if you are suggesting that an entire feature film could be str=
eamed in non distance education setting as either part of say &quot;extra&q=
uot; studies for the class or so the dear little students could just watch =
it again in the dorm. In other words do believe it is legal to stream a com=
plete film for a course that is NOT taught on line,</div>
their guidelines were in my opinion pretty nuts as in you can use something=
taped off TV ten years, which your friend made you a copy of and stream it=
for your class.</div>
ery rare old films) and met one of the top copyright lawyers</div><div>( wo=
rking on the rights holders side) and he has agreed to give his opinion on =
certain issues that have come =A0up here=A0</div>
;fair use&quot;, streaming etc. So basically with any luck</div><div>I won&=
#39;t have to play at being a copyright expert I can borrow a real one.<br>
9 at 5:21 PM, Carrie Russell <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:crusse=
ll@alawash.org" target=3D"_blank">crussell@alawash.org</a>&gt;</span> wrote=
:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hi Cindy:<br>
You can use clips on Blackboard in a secure environment, only for<br>
enrolled students, etc.<br>
There is no limit on the length of clip - it should be the length<br>
necessary to meet the teaching objective - the same length one would use<br=

in a &quot;live&quot; classroom.<br>
What this means:<br>
FOR DIGITIZING ANALOG WORKS, NO DIGITAL VERSION OF THE WORK IS AVAILABLE<br=

FREE FROM TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTIONS THAT WOULD PREVENT THE USES<br>
AUTHORIZED IN SECTION 110.<br>
It means that you cannot copy an analog work to a digital version if<br>
there is a digital version of the title available for purchase. =A0BUT if<b=
r>
the digital versions that are available for purchase prevent you from<br>
copying a clip (because they are protected by technology like CSS) to<br>
use in Blackboard, then you can copy the analog version using the<br>
portion necessary to meet the teaching objective.<br>
But it sounds like you already have digital versions that you plan to<br>
stream so no need to make a digital copy of an analog version.<br>
Under =A0TEACH (or fair use), you do not have to get permission for this<br=

use.<br>
-Carrie Russell<br>
------------------------------<br>
Message: 5<br>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:58:21 -0500<br>
From: &quot;Badilla-Melendez, Cindy&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cbadillame@=
stthomas.edu" target=3D"_blank">cbadillame@stthomas.edu</a>&gt;<br>
Subject: [Videolib] copyright question help<br>
To: &quot;<a href=3D"mailto:videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" target=3D"_blank">=
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:videolib@lists.=
berkeley.edu" target=3D"_blank">videolib@lists.berkeley.edu</a>&gt;<br>
I know this question has come up several times. I may wasn&#39;t paying<br>
attention or still did not hear an answer, or I am still confussed.<br>
A professor wants to put some clips of some documentaries on Blackboard.<br=

If I read correctly this is ok under the TEACH act and Fair USe, off<br>
course under a lot of conditions (a lot of them technological<br>
requirements). But also, talks about reasonable amounts and portions.<br>
What is a reasonalble amount? 10% or 3 minutes? I read that somewhere.<br>
TEACH Act alos talks about if the work would be part of what the<br>
professor will use in class and so on.<br>
I really don&#39;t uderstanda this part:<br>
FOR DIGITIZING ANALOG WORKS, NO DIGITAL VERSION OF THE WORK IS AVAILABLE<br=

FREE FROM TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTIONS THAT WOULD PREVENT THE USES<br>
AUTHORIZED IN SECTION 110.<br>
So, can we or not take a DVD and stream portions and put them min<br>
blackboard for a semester, for students to review?<br>
Or we need to get permissions?<br>
Thanks<br>
Cindy<br>
__________________________________________________<br>
Cindy Badilla-Melendez<br>
Media Resources Librarian<br>
O&#39;Shaughnessy-Frey Library,<br>
University of St. Thomas<br>
Mail #5004, 2115 Summit Ave,<br>
St Paul, MN 55105<br>
phone (651) 962-5464<br>
fax (651) 962-5406<br>
VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues=
relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, =
preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries an=
d related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effectiv=
e working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication =
between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distrib=
utors.<br>

--===============7998739698111565779==--