Re: [Videolib] slide sets

Nell Chenault (njchenau@vcu.edu)
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:17:50 -0400

We have a few folks still using images from the American History Slide
Collection. Occasionally refer users to images in the other parts of
this set. Looked into digital rights last year - school lab type model,
very expensive.

Our media center is currently weeding our slides, filmstrips and other
older media. Only retaining locally produced titles, gems, and titles
near and dear to our mission. We are checking WorldCat on some of the
scholarly titles. Conversion is the big issue. Who has the staff and
resources? Our Media, VRC, SCA and digital processing unit are
considering some titles for conversion, but will need to look closely at
funding.

We just checked back in the History of Costume. User access to equipment
is a growing issue. We do maintain a few slide scanners, to assist
users who need a few images for instruction, course work, etc. (if
license or fair use allow).

Nell Chenault
Media & Reserves
VCU Libraries