Re: [Videolib] Question regarding donations

David W. Woolard (woolardd@erau.edu)
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:15:42 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I'll be sure
to let my supervisor know that if the faculty members copy is legal then
we should accept the donation.

Oh, and Jessica, the title of the film is called "Peru: Between the
Hammer & the Anvil."

Cheers,

David Woolard

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Judy Shoaf
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:15 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Question regarding donations

Videolib just had a discussion of the pricing structures which charge
more for education/institutional copies than for personal copies
(called a tiered pricing system). Tiered pricing does not necessarily
reflect the inclusion of PPR in the institutional price--the rights
which are included and excluded will vary from distributor to
distributor, as I understand it.

It is a way for distributors to make money from those who have a budget
to buy films, basically, while giving a break to individuals. Everything

depends on the explicitness of the rights in the contract. If the
instructor bought the video off Amazon, it should be OK for classroom
use.

Question: is there an archive of the discussions?

If most of the titles in your library do have PPR or other special
rights, you could always just accept the donation and label it
"classroom use only--no PPR." (Since ERAU is non-profit).

Judy Shoaf

David W. Woolard wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> About a month ago I received a request from a faculty member for a
> video, but due to our very small media budget this year and the
> educational/institutional cost of the video we told them we were
unable
> to order it at this time and would consider it again near the end of
the
> budget year. This faculty member has recently asked if she could
donate
> her copy to the library, and being fairly new to my position I wasn't
> quite sure how donations worked with videos. When I spoke with my
> supervisor about it they said no we couldn't accept it due to their
> uncertainty with the copyright issues it could pose. My supervisors
> concern was that the video in question had an
educational/institutional
> cost and felt our faculty members copy probably didn't have PPR. Being

> that this was the first time I've had a faculty member offer a
donation,
> I was just wondering if there are actual do's and don'ts when it comes

> to accepting video donations, and if so what are they? I'm sure some
> policies may vary library to library, but if anyone could share what
> they do I would really appreciate it.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> *David Woolard*
>
> Worldwide Media/Reference Librarian