Re: [Videolib] Question regarding donations

Judy Shoaf (jshoaf@clas.ufl.edu)
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:15:14 -0500

Videolib just had a discussion of the pricing structures which charge
more for education/institutional copies than for personal copies
(called a tiered pricing system). Tiered pricing does not necessarily
reflect the inclusion of PPR in the institutional price--the rights
which are included and excluded will vary from distributor to
distributor, as I understand it.

It is a way for distributors to make money from those who have a budget
to buy films, basically, while giving a break to individuals. Everything
depends on the explicitness of the rights in the contract. If the
instructor bought the video off Amazon, it should be OK for classroom use.

Question: is there an archive of the discussions?

If most of the titles in your library do have PPR or other special
rights, you could always just accept the donation and label it
"classroom use only--no PPR." (Since ERAU is non-profit).

Judy Shoaf