Re: [Videolib] Unrated Movies

Michael May (mmay@dubuque.lib.ia.us)
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:26:35 -0600

There are people who are working hard to turn MPAA restrictions into law. See this April 2008 article from Iowa:

"Senate votes down proposal on libraries and R-rated movies":
http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=80DF989D-E671-BCE1-A7DF96FF0C353ED0

Similar recent proposals in Iowa would have required libraries that receive state funding to restrict children from borrowing any videos or DVDs not rated G, PG, or PG13 by MPAA.

Mike

Michael May
Adult Services Librarian
Carnegie-Stout Public Library
360 West 11th Street
Dubuque, IA 52001-4697, USA
Phone: 563-589-4225 ext. 2244
Fax: 563-589-4217
Email: mmay@dubuque.lib.ia.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jeanne Little
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:01 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Unrated Movies

As a small aside from the discussion regarding rated movies, I just recently realized the MPAA rating system is not only a voluntary process, but that it is totally up to the theater as to whether they enforce the ratings guidelines, since it is exactly that, a guideline, and a recommendation.

Now, even though it is not a law, I wonder how many theaters would allow an underage viewer to pay and watch a rated R movie without adult supervision? Also, I wonder how many parents and underage viewers realize this? I think sometimes people think something is a law when in actuality it isn't.

Just an observation...

Jeanne Little