Re: [Videolib] vendor question [Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:50:20 -0500

I hammer out the pricing before I do the requisition for the Purchase
Order. Our Purchase Orders state that the price cannot exceed by either
$10 or 5%. If the vendor accepts a Purchase Order and thusly fulfills
that order, it's a contract as well. On numerous occasions, I've
"marked" an invoice that included shipping charges or service charges of
one sort or another that were above and beyond the purchase Order and
not included in the original offer. I've simply "short-paid" that
invoice in the amount originally approved.

This is business, plain and simple. I'm not in any way being arrogant or
snotty with vendors, but on the other hand, sometimes you have to stay
hard-nosed. Remember that YOU are the customer and YOU choose where to
spend your money. If the deal is not to your liking, move on, but don't
let yourself be pushed around by a vendor. If they can't be upfront
about their pricing, it should be a red flag. Most of our Edu. Market
vendors want and need your business, just like we need them. Work with
the ones that work with you. If others won't work with you, take your
money to those that will.

Mark

Mark W. Kopp
Technology Assistant