Re: [Videolib] vendor question

Sarah McCleskey (Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu)
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:37:14 -0500

Thanks, Kate. We like Videogo too. Dean Stevens is very responsive, we've had no problems with ordering from him, and he doesn't do this mark-up thing. With the local vendor, we've experienced some ordering problems in addition to the mark-up.

Sarah

>>> "Katherine Mcgivern" <kmcgivern@bergen.edu> 11/18/2008 3:18 PM >>>
Sarah- I think I know this particular vendor and I have not used them
for precisely the reasons you state. I have had several ordering
difficulties with them in the past so I've just moved on. I have had no
problem finding everything I need elsewhere. My most favorite vendor is
Videogo.

Kate

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Sarah
McCleskey
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:23 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] vendor question

Hi everyone,

Okay, I'm outraged and have to ask you if this is normal vendor
behavior. There is a distributor of books and videos located on Long
Island. Lots of libraries use them and apparently they give decent
discounts for books. For about 6 months the sales rep was pursuing an
account with us for videos. So when our new budget year began Sept. 1,
I got an account set up with them and we started ordering things.

They have this website that lists prices. However, and the sales rep
never told me this (I think because she did not know), the price on
their website is the list price. This is where it gets complicated.
When they are able to get a discount on a video, they pass some of that
discount along to us. However, when they are NOT able to get a
discount, not only do they charge us list price, they ADD A SERVICE
CHARGE THAT IS A PERCENTAGE OF THE LIST PRICE. And they won't tell you
what that charge is going to be unless you contact them PRIOR TO
ORDERING to find out. So, you get an invoice for something that was
listed at, for example, $200, and the actual price on the invoice turns
out to be $230.95.

Am I right to be outraged? Obviously I won't be placing any more orders
with this vendor if I can possibly get the title from somewhere else,
but I think this mark-up "service charge" is bizarre. They did try to
negotiate with me by dropping their fuel surcharge, and by limiting the
mark-up to a flat $20 for titles over $100, but I'm still not
interested. No other vendors that we use engage in this practice.

What do you think??? Am I just naive???

Sarah

Sarah E. McCleskey

Head of Access Services