Re: [Videolib] Unrated movies.

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:14:39 -0500

This is basically true except that all the major studios submit their films
for ratings and the Unrated versions are usually sort of a tease supposedly
containing more salacious material. Smaller companies often don't submit
films because it is expensive.

In case some of you missed it here is a related story in the you thought our
system was bad dept.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2008/11/06/littlehouse-prairie-finland.html?
ref=rss

On 11/18/08 1:51 PM, "George Lindell Abbott" <glabbott@syr.edu> wrote:

> The MPAA rating system is a voluntary process. Studios do not have to
> submit films to MPAA for a rating. If the studio choses not to submit
> the film it usually puts the designation "Unrated" on the DVD box.
> Some "Unrated" films have shown in commercial theaters as well.
>
> Sometimes a film is released in two versions, rated and unrated.
> According to the Internet Movie Database <www.imdb.com> "Forgetting
> Sarah Marshall" was released in two versions, the R-rated version (112
> mins.) and the unrated version (118 mins.). It is unclear wheather
> the R version has been released on DVD or which version was shown in
> USA theaters.
>
> Reasons why some DVDs have a rating and unrated on the DVD case are
> both versions are on the DVD or there is significant supplemental
> material on the DVD which is not rated and the rating only applies to
> the film itself.
>
> George
>
> George L. Abbott
> librarian emeritus
> Syracuse University Library
> 311 Stonecrest Drive
> Syracuse, NY 13214-2432
> glabbott@syr.edu
>
> ---- Danielle Phillips <daniellekwock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been trying to find out what makes a DVD Unrated vs. NC-17 or R. I
>> select media for a large library district and have recently come across
>> DVD's released as both R and UN, sometimes on one disc. We are trying to
>> decide whether to purchase Unrated movies that were originally released as R
>> in the theatre. Do other libraries purchase these? Have you found the
>> content to be inappropriate? What are your thoughts on UN movies?
>>
>> I'm not talking foreign films or chidlren's films that often have no rating,
>> but movies that were originally released in theatres as rated and then come
>> out on DVD in an UN version. * Forgetting Sarah Marshall* and *The Strangers
>> * are examples of this.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Danielle Phillips