Re: [Videolib] Unrated movies.

George Lindell Abbott (glabbott@syr.edu)
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:51:22 -0500

The MPAA rating system is a voluntary process. Studios do not have to
submit films to MPAA for a rating. If the studio choses not to submit
the film it usually puts the designation "Unrated" on the DVD box.
Some "Unrated" films have shown in commercial theaters as well.

Sometimes a film is released in two versions, rated and unrated.
According to the Internet Movie Database <www.imdb.com> "Forgetting
Sarah Marshall" was released in two versions, the R-rated version (112
mins.) and the unrated version (118 mins.). It is unclear wheather
the R version has been released on DVD or which version was shown in
USA theaters.

Reasons why some DVDs have a rating and unrated on the DVD case are
both versions are on the DVD or there is significant supplemental
material on the DVD which is not rated and the rating only applies to
the film itself.

George

George L. Abbott
librarian emeritus