Re: [Videolib] ...another peeve

John Hoskyns-Abrahall (John@bullfrogfilms.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:05:42 -0500

--===============1129669109565577408==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C945F5.1D70B700

Hi, Tom
=20
You're exactly right about this. =20
=20
It's happening more and more, and it's hard to blame the filmmaker
because they only have a small period of time when the film is at its
peak publicity.
=20
But it really only happens to the very top of the heap festival
favorites like KING CORN. Most social issue documentaries still have no
viable consumer market.
=20
All the best,
John

________________________________

From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:23 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] ...another peeve

This may be the exception to the rule and I'm sure one of the vendors
will know more than I, but I get the impression that sometimes a
filmmaker will make a deal with an educational distributor and then make
a separate deal with a home video distributor. For example, the home
distrbutor for King Corn is Docurama whereas the educational version is
available through Bullfrog. So maybe in some cases, the ed distributor
isn't privy to when the home version is coming out, and, if they aren't
the ones distributing the cheaper version, they have no vested interest
in illuminating us, nor would I expect them to since, technically, it's
not their product.=20

Although I will agree with Gary that IF the same vendor distributes
both, it is a little disingenuous to not let us know what our choices
are or will be.=20

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm curious as to how
this works.=20

Tom=20

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy=20
Box 457035
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7035
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C945F5.1D70B700

Hi, Tom

You're exactly right about this.  =

It's happening more and more, and it's hard to = blame the=20 filmmaker because they only have a small period of time when the film is = at=20 its peak publicity.

But it really only happens to the very top = of the heap=20 festival favorites like KING CORN. Most social issue documentaries = still=20 have no viable consumer market.

All the best,
    John