Re: [Videolib] purchasing faculty produced films/videos

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:17:05 -0800

--===============8189070096525589960==

--Apple-Mail-1--797077590
delsp=yes

The principal selection criterion here at SF State is, will the media =20=

be used in University classes? Who made the program isn't as important =20=

as whether anyone will use it. People who work for your institution =20
should have no special advantage - or disadvantage - over those who do =20=

not.

What gets to me is that often the instructors who make good videos =20
bring their own prints to class and never ask us to buy a copy. More =20
often the people who produce second or third-rate nonsense are the =20
ones who request a purchase.

About the Dean donating a print - I would not get between a teacher =20
and the teacher's boss. In fact, I would not even say who donated the =20=

print, just that the University had received one, and in the interest =20=

of saving funds, you accepted it. That leaves more funds available to =20=

purchase more media - such as another production by the teacher, maybe.

Hope this helps.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Nov 13, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Maureen Tripp wrote:

> Dear collective wisdom,
>
> We have a number of faculty here who make films. Often they hint or =20=

> suggest that we should purchase their production for the media =20
> collection. I would love to, and think we should, but while there =20
> is a written policy for collecting faculty work in print, we don=92t =20=

> have anything about faculty nonprint work in the collection =20
> development policy.
>
> Apart from having no policy, there is a general atmosphere of =20
> resistance. Some staff have suggested faculty should donate copies =20=

> of their work. Upper admin seems to think that film/video is just =20
> too expensive (these are independent productions, so run about 150=97=20=

> 200 a title.)
>
> When I went ahead and tried to purchase one instructor=92s film, a =20
> dean intervened, and gave me a copy of the film that the instructor =20=

> had given to him as a gift! The instructor was quite irritated, =20
> and, I felt, justifiably so.
>
> We have film students who would welcome the chance to view their =20
> instructors=92 work.
>
> How do others out there deal with similar situations?
>

> Maureen Tripp
>
> Media Librarian
>
> Media Services Center
>
> 120 Boylston Street
>
> Boston, MA 02116
>
> maureen_tripp@emerson.edu
>
> (617)824-8676
>

> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of =20=

> issues relating to the selection, evaluation, =20
> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current =20=

> and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It =20=

> is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for =20
> video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between =20
> libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and =20
> distributors.

--Apple-Mail-1--797077590

The principal  selection = criterion here at SF State is, will the media be used in University = classes? Who made the program isn't as important as whether anyone will = use it. People who work for your institution should have no special = advantage - or disadvantage - over those who do = not.

What gets to me is that often the instructors = who make good videos bring their own prints to class and never ask us to = buy a copy. More often the people who produce second  or third-rate = nonsense are the ones who request a = purchase.

About the Dean donating a print - I = would not get between a teacher and the teacher's boss. In fact, I would = not even say who donated the print, just that the University had = received one, and in the interest of saving funds, you accepted it. That = leaves more funds available to purchase more media - such as another = production by the teacher, maybe.

Hope this = helps.

Brigid Duffy
Academic Technology
San Francisco, CA  = 94132-4200