Re: [Videolib] Restricted PPR

Steinhoff, Cindy (cksteinhoff@aacc.edu)
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:03:50 -0500

Anne Arundel Community College
Arnold, MD
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.be=
rkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jerry Notaro
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:16 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Restricted PPR

2 Two tiered pricing where a title IS available in the home market but you=
are =93encouraged=94 to buy the higher priced model for PPR rights you pr=
obably don=92t need ( FYI as streaming becomes more desired this may change=
) . Here you basically have to use common sense and make sure you know you=
r options

The situation is worse than two tier and getting out of hand. California Ne=
wsreel has a 3 tier pricing structure, differentiating further College, Cor=
poration, Gov't Agencies from High Schools, Public Libraries, HBCUs
& Qualifying Community Organizations. The first tier is four times the pric=
e of the second. I don=92t know where anyone gets the idea we are better of=
f, but we took a 15% hit off the top this year and are facing an additional=
10% next year.

Jerry

________________________________
The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally =
privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).=
If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby=
notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, dis=
tribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its content, is stri=
ctly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please c=
ontact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original mes=
sage. Thank you.

--_000_3614638D4C701B438F335F0EFA8F6EBC6115B0C115AACCMAILBOXaa_

Re: [Videolib] Restricted PPR

I, too, have been seeing more multi-tier pricing, with 3 or 4 tiers.&n= bsp; I just bought a DVD from a small distributor and it had 4 pr= icing tiers.  Home use was the lowest price, followed by K-12 schools  Community organizations and public libraries were ne= xt, and college and universities at the highest price - $250, almost 3 time= s what community organizations and public libraries would pay.  When I= asked about the rationale, I was told that "more people would view it in a college," and they were trying t= o price according use.  We're not a huge school, and this was a p= rogram that would be used by one instructor with probably no more than 40-5= 0 students a semester.  I would guess, given the topic of the program, that more viewers than that would see it in a high school = or community organization setting.

Initially, the distributor wasn't willing to give us a preview, and fi= nally agreed to a refund within 30 days if the program didn't work for the = instructor.  It didn't, so we returned it.

Cynthia Steinhoff

--===============2577822409467971497==

--===============2577822409467971497==--