Re: [Videolib] Long live DVD... for five more years

Julia Churchill (jchurchill@oaklawnlibrary.org)
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 09:49:36 -0600

We have been replacing our VHS with DVDs and are running into some terrible choices. I really don't have room to have both, so I have to give up some VHS titles because we need the room and they haven't gone out in a while. Even if I want to replace them in many cases I simply can't find a title or anything similar.
More and more people are asking for DVDs and telling me that they do not have a VHS player anymore. We started out with 10,000 VHS and are now down to 6200. We now own over 5,000 DVDs and I am buying more each month. Space is a real issue.
Blu-Ray has only penetrated four percent of the market according to ZDNet. At the moment it looks like it might be dead in the water.

Julia Churchill
Oak Lawn Public Library
Oak Lawn, Illinois 60453

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Andrews, Sarah E
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 4:54 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Long live DVD... for five more years

I have to say that I agree with Pieter on this one. Replacing VHS with DVDs has not been financially possible for libraries with large collections of documentary/educational films unless the distributor offers very attractive pricing....assuming a DVD is even available to purchase.

Larger libraries may find a bundle of streaming titles a more attractive option than yet another physical format. (And come on, only film geeks care about visual quality right???)

Of course libraries of all sorts will have to purchase Blu Ray DVD as well as players, but at least at my library--online is best, and will be used the most--even if the quality is degraded.

Sarah Andrews