Re: [Videolib] Licensing Movies with Swank Motion Pictures

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:00:38 -0500

--===============5076814655785819848==

--B_3308727639_45462629

I am all for it but again much more complicated for us little guys in terms
of rights we can license
I would bet the farm the Swank model is based on some type of annual fee a=
opposed to outright sale of
A title streaming etc.

On 11/5/08 10:45 AM, "Mark Kopp" <mkopp@iu08.org> wrote:

> WOW, as in this is a big deal. It shows how far some companies are moving=
, in
> this new market. I=B9ve said the same thing for years=8Athose who wish to be =
in
> the game will have to find a way to play. Those who dig in and refuse wil=
l be
> on the sidelines watching. In this game, you don=B9t make a nickel on the
> sidelines. Just don=B9t think though, that just because you wish to play, i=
> means you found the cash cow. It=B9s simply another different format of the=
very
> same data. Staying in the game and providing the formats that are needed =
> compete in the market doesn=B9t mean you hit the lottery=8Ait means you get t=
> stay and play on. Just because a vendor steps up and provides =B3The XYZ Fi=
lm=B2
> in the current format du jour, does NOT mean they deserve $1000 for it,
> especially when it was only $100 when it was on DVD or VHS, etc.
> =20
> As far as =B3clearing/paying rights holders=B2=8A In most cases, we have been d=
oing
> this for years. At issue is the current mentality that this newest change=
in
> format means even bigger money than ever for the =B3rights holders=B2 for the=
very
> same materials. Granted there will always be scofflaws, but that=B9s not yo=
ur
> target audience. Treat everyone like criminals and there will be a backla=
sh,
> and it will come in the form of wallets slamming shut.
> =20
> Mark
> =20
>=20

--B_3308727639_45462629

Re: [Videolib] Licensing Movies with Swank Motion Pictures (streamin= g via course mgmt system) [Scanned] I am all for it but again much more complicated for us little guys in term= s of rights we can license
I would bet the farm the Swank model is based on some type of  annual = fee as opposed to outright sale of
A title streaming etc.