Re: [Videolib] Licensing Movies with Swank Motion Pictures

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:45:57 -0500

--===============0225853074897017431==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C93F5D.98A206BF

WOW, as in this is a big deal. It shows how far some companies are
moving, in this new market. I've said the same thing for years...those
who wish to be in the game will have to find a way to play. Those who
dig in and refuse will be on the sidelines watching. In this game, you
don't make a nickel on the sidelines. Just don't think though, that just
because you wish to play, it means you found the cash cow. It's simply
another different format of the very same data. Staying in the game and
providing the formats that are needed to compete in the market doesn't
mean you hit the lottery...it means you get to stay and play on. Just
because a vendor steps up and provides "The XYZ Film" in the current
format du jour, does NOT mean they deserve $1000 for it, especially when
it was only $100 when it was on DVD or VHS, etc.

=20

As far as "clearing/paying rights holders"... In most cases, we have
been doing this for years. At issue is the current mentality that this
newest change in format means even bigger money than ever for the
"rights holders" for the very same materials. Granted there will always
be scofflaws, but that's not your target audience. Treat everyone like
criminals and there will be a backlash, and it will come in the form of
wallets slamming shut.

=20

Mark

=20