Re: [Videolib] Green" DVD Packaging [Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:39:17 -0500

I just read an e-mail article on how "green packaging" has become an
excuse for "cheap", less-than-attractive packaging (it wasn't about
media packaging). In the article, they also presented the contrasting
viewpoint, that "green" packaging can have a positive affect on the
bottom line. "Who cares how it looks...it's GREEN!!!"

Just an observation,

Mark

From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Matt Bailey
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 2:08 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Green" DVD Packaging [Scanned]

You may not want to hear this, but any "green" packaging (or for that
matter, any non-standard DVD packaging) goes straight into the
recycling bin here. Durability of the case and the avoidance of damage
to the disc itself is a major issue here, as is the ability to apply
labels to the spine of the case, so anything that doesn't come in a
standard plastic DVD case gets put into one. We use mostly second-hand
cases for this repackaging, so we're not total monsters.

Are there standard DVD cases made with recycled plastic? That seems
like a much better option for libraries than paper packaging.

Matt

--
Matt Bailey
Media Resources Coordinator