Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:08:13 -0400

--===============2140017401124465788==

--B_3308292495_19129587

Rick
I took a quick look and as far as I can tell these are all public domain
Chaplins. The Chaplin Estate is pretty
aggressive in going after stuff.

On 10/31/08 2:29 AM, "Rick Faaberg" <rfaaberg@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/30/08 7:08 AM "Dennis Doros" <milefilms@gmail.com> sent this out:
>
>> And the real fear is not that digitally, a film could last forever, but
>> unlike DVD and VHS, that it can be spread virally -- without loss of quality
>> -- until the day comes that only one copy is sold for $29.95 and is used by
>> everybody. I do know professors (they actually tell me!) who have downloaded
>> illegal copies of KILLER OF SHEEP and shown them in class so it is happening
>> already. We sold 12,000 copies of this DVD which sounds like an awful lot,
>> but five years ago, it would have sold two to three times more.
>
> Just for jollies, go to <http://thepiratebay.org> and enter "Charles Chaplin"
> in the search box. I got 42 hits containing multi-megs and multi-gigs of
> Chaplin video.
>
> Don't rights holders check out the bitorrent sites and see if their stuff is
> out there?
>
> Bitorrent sources are hard to trace, but not impossible. Gee, maybe I could
> make a business of it?! :-)
>
> Fwiw,
> Rick Faaberg

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3308292495_19129587

Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN Rick
[...]

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourag= e the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evalu= ation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current a= nd evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped= that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians,= as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institu= tions, and video producers and distributors.

--===============2140017401124465788==--