Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN [Scanned]

Moshiri, Farhad (moshiri@uiwtx.edu)
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:08:53 -0500

I'm very much in favor of protecting the rights of copy right holders
and do not support piracy in any way. What I'm not convinced yet is the
difference between "face-to-face" traditional classrooms with the
instructor present vs. a log-in protected online classroom (access by
students registered for that class only). Here I think we are just
preventing the new technology to use fair-use permissions. It just
doesn't make sense.

Farhad Moshiri
AV Librarian
University of the Incarnate Word
San Antonio, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:45 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN [Scanned]

OOPS I meant Jerry

On 10/30/08 11:41 AM, "Jessica Rosner" <jrosner@kino.com> wrote:

> Um Mark
> Record companies are being KILLED, CD sales are off a cliff and the
money
> they get from say iTunes is not close to covering it . Record
companies are
> LOSING money for the most part , there have been massive cutbacks and
> mergers, it is anything but a thriving business and I think that is
what
> Us distributors are very worried about. It should be noted that the
music
> market is being destroyed more or less by individuals even those
pirating on
> a big scale, schools on the other hand have made licensing deals in
many
> cases which of course is what all of us would like if all those really
big
> problems could be worked out.
>

> On 10/30/08 11:29 AM, "Jerry Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> wrote:
>
>> I don't agree with Mark's analogy either, Jessica, but we have heard
the
>> same argument you are presenting from record companies when people
started
>> streaming music. Buying and managing music online is a reality and
the
>> rights and content holders are making tons of money because of it. If
they
>> would have stuck to selling music "only" on cd's, yes, they would be
in
>> trouble, but that didn't happen and they are thriving. Much as
producers
>> and distributors think librarians are trying to make a fast buck, it
is
>> going to be survival mode soon for content providers. People are
demanding
>> it and yes, they will pass and choose other content because of the
format
>> available.
>>
>> Jerry

producers and distributors.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately delete the email and any attachments from your system and notify the sender. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.