Re: [Videolib] Sarah's post on digital streaming

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:44:16 -0400

I thought I was pretty clear. Carrie was saying that since it is legal to
use a video "face to face' IN a class it SHOULD be legal ( but she admits it
is not) to digitize and stream it to those students. My comparison was that
it IS legal to watch a video in your home , it is not legal to stream to
others to watch in THEIR homes even though it IS legal for them to see the
film in their homes .

Some are arguing that for the purchase of a retail video ( this is my area
FYI not what we often call educational videos) of say $20 a school should be
able to digitize and stream it to students in a class because it is EASIER
for them than watching in a class or they maybe want to see it again or the
prof does not want to USE class time. Sorry but this is NOT the same as
"face to face" and I obviously have a strong view that not only is it
illegal it also violates what I would like to think as a moral pact between
rights holders and the academic world. If you want a student to be able to
see a film anytime or anywhere they find convenient it is frankly going to
cost an additional fee because otherwise we just can't stay in business
trying to make a lot of great films available to the academic world. Now we
can debate what a reasonable fee might be for this use, which I would assume
is somewhere between " we paid $25 for that DVD and we should not have to
pay another penny to stream it " and $5,000 a year license charge.

On 10/30/08 2:29 PM, "Moshiri, Farhad" <moshiri@uiwtx.edu> wrote:

> [...]

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International