Re: [Videolib] Sarah's post on digital streaming

Moshiri, Farhad (moshiri@uiwtx.edu)
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:29:05 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:57 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Sarah's post on digital streaming

Jessica wrote:

Now supposes I bought a DVD of film X and I am a computer genius who can
download and digitize the thing and sent straight to my friends who have
to log in. They are only watching it themselves, I did not post it on
the internet so what if I send it to 200 of them who can now watch it at
home, I made it from a legal copy and they are watching it for personal
use ? If the MPAA finds out do you think that gets me off the hook
because it is the exact analogy you have to extending "face to face" to
"on demand"

Jessica,

I just don't understand your logic here. We are talking about official
institutions such as universities (in most cases non-profit), for
educational purposes only, and for official courses within the
university programs. Of course digitizing a video for 100 of your
friends is not right. I don't think anyone disputes that.

Farhad

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately delete the email and any attachments from your system and notify the sender. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.