Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:22:13 -0400

--===============6700620366056038906==

--B_3308206934_14022844

Well again I am not a tech person but two points.
In actual fact very few films and NONE made by studios are ever sold with
PPR though many educational films are.
Kino can sell many but by no means all of our DVDs with PPR and there is a
sub category of those in which the
period would in fact be limited so that say I could sell L=B9Age D=B9or but
only with rights for the next two years. If you
Are trying to get a practical collection that you can use I don=B9t see how
you can do it without access to CITIZEN KANE,
LA DOLCE VITA, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN etc which will trust me never be
=B3sold=B2 with PRR.

The tech issue which I am unclear on is if a digital file is some kind of
high end format that would be presumed to last forever
( ok don=B9t laugh I know everything changes but I am just saying) and if it
would be absolutely clear that this could not be
Changed to another yet to be done format.

On 10/30/08 9:12 AM, "Anna Headley" <aheadle1@swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> As I understand it:
> I can buy a DVD with PPR for the life of the product. Even if you stop
> selling that DVD, if I still have it and it still works, I still have tho=
se
> rights. What is the difference with a digital file?? It should be the s=
ame
> thing. You sell it to me, you send it to me, and I own it along with the
> rights until it's obsolete or broken. After a while, your ownership runs=
out
> and you can't sell it anymore. But that shouldn't affect the copy I alre=
ady
> have. Please tell me what I'm missing.
> best,
> anna h.
>=20
>=20
>> =20
>> Subject:=20
>> Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN
>> From:=20
>> Jessica Rosner <jrosner@kino.com> <mailto:jrosner@kino.com>
>> Date:=20
>> Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:55:01 -0400
>> To:=20
>> <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu> <mailto:videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
>> To:=20
>> <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu> <mailto:videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
>> =20
>> Well being almost totally ignorant of digital technology it is hard for=
me
>> to say. If in fact this is a format with life span similar to VHS or DVd
>> which small companies at least have and continue to sell with some kind =
of
>> PPR rights it might work but I suspect that realistically you are reall=
>> looking towards licensing with more specific time frame between say 1-5
>> years.
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 10/29/08 11:27 AM, "Brewer, Michael" <brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>
>> <mailto:brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>
>> wrote:
>> =20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3308206934_14022844

Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN Well again I am not a tech person but two points.
In actual fact very few films and NONE made by studios are ever sold with P= PR though many educational films are.
Kino can sell many but by no  means all of our DVDs with PPR and there= is a sub category of those in which the
period would in fact be limited  so that say I could sell L’Age = D’or but only with rights for the next two years. If you
Are trying to get a practical collection that you can use I don’t see= how you can do it without access to CITIZEN KANE,
LA DOLCE VITA, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN  etc which will trust me never b= e “sold” with PRR.

The tech issue which I am unclear on is if a digital file is some kind of h= igh end format that would be presumed to last forever
( ok don’t laugh I know everything changes but I am just saying) and = if it would be absolutely clear that this could not be
Changed to another yet to be done format.

<= SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:11pt'>As I understand it:
I can buy a DVD with PPR for the life of the product.  Even if you sto= p selling that DVD, if I still have it and it still works, I still have thos= e rights.  What is the difference with a digital file??  It should= be the same thing.  You sell it to me, you send it to me, and I own it= along with the rights until it's obsolete or broken.  After a while, y= our ownership runs out and you can't sell it anymore.  But that shouldn= 't affect the copy I already have.  Please tell me what I'm missing. best,
anna h.

<= SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:11pt'>
Re: [Videolib] copyright AGAIN
Well  being almost totally ignorant of digital technology it is hard f= or me
to say. If in fact this is a format with life span similar to VHS or DVd which small companies at least have and continue to sell with some kind of<= BR> PPR rights  it might work but I suspect that realistically you are rea= lly