Re: [Videolib] Today's NY Times: Netflix and Tivo are partners

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:53:30 -0400 (EDT)

Sarah McCleskey wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/technology/internet/30tivo.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
>
> This should make for some lively discussion. I see streaming to a TV
> screen via Netflix/TV as a very "personal" kind of thing, linked to your
> personal Netflix account and your personal Tivo account. Not probably
> designed for academic institutions or public libraries to take advantage
> of.

I disagree. We stream over 2000 titles we have rights for to faculty and
students here through the library online catalog. They must log in to
verify they are valid and kaboom, they are watching on their laptops or
projecting in a classroom. Not at all a difficult thing to manage.

Jerry